Justin Bonanno is a partner in Ganfer & Shore’s litigation practice groups as well as in the firm’s Cooperative and Condominium Housing Practice Group.
His practice focuses on representing individuals and corporate entities in complex commercial litigation including extensive securities, contract disputes, partnership, limited liability company and corporate governance matters, business torts, and general commercial litigation, with an emphasis on real estate matters. Mr. Bonanno has represented clients in all phases of litigation in both state and federal courts, including appeals.
Mr. Bonanno was formerly a senior litigation associate of the firm and has worked at Ganfer & Shore for virtually his entire career. Prior to joining Ganfer & Shore, Mr. Bonanno worked in private practice, where he litigated on behalf of banks in matters involving real estate, foreclosures, and lending.
Mr. Bonanno has been recognized as a “New York Super Lawyer Rising Star.”
- Brooklyn Law School (J.D., 2000)
- Manhattan College (B.A., 1997)
- Represented numerous New York City cooperative and condominium boards and shareholders in disputes involving construction defects, renovations, access, shareholder rights, board discretion and objectionable conduct.
- Obtained summary judgment dismissing declaratory judgment action seeking to overturn sale of Times Square hotel in which the trial court held that the transaction, structured through a contribution agreement to defer taxes with both sides to the transaction contributing to a new entity, constituted a “sale” and did not require consent of plaintiff to assign a 99-year lease for the basement space of the hotel to the new owners.
- Secured dismissal of petition brought by managing member seeking judicial dissolution of LLC in order to sell LLC’s sole asset, a 5-story residential building in Chelsea.
- Successfully defended multiple sponsors in litigations brought by condominium boards alleging various construction defects and departures from the offering plan.
- Defeated motion for summary judgment brought by well-known New York City real estate brokerage firm in an action against sponsor of a luxury condominium in Manhattan seeking commissions on sale of apartment.
- Litigated and negotiated settlement of multiple special proceedings brought on behalf of various developers to secure statutory licenses to access adjacent property to implement site safety plans or to make repairs.
- Defended a major New York City law firm in a legal malpractice action arising from alleged advice given in connection with a proceeding before the NASD (now FINRA).
- Represented minority members/partners against managing members/general partners in actions involving mismanagement, self-dealing, and oppressive acts.
- Defended multiple real estate developers in foreclosure proceedings.
- Represented creditors in judgment collection efforts and bankruptcy proceedings, including successfully collecting numerous money judgments on behalf of clients and obtaining summary judgment declaring multi-million dollar judgment entered against judgment creditors’ former attorney non-dischargeable pursuant to 11 U.S.C. 523(a)(4).
- New York (2001)
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York (2002)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York (2002)
Member, New York State Bar Association.