Matthew N. Tobias is a senior associate in the Commercial Litigation, Cooperative and Condominium Housing, and Real Estate Litigation practice groups at Ganfer & Shore.
His practice focuses on representing condominiums, cooperatives, and sponsors in a variety of real estate-related matters, including construction litigation, landlord-tenant litigation and providing general counsel. In addition, Mr. Tobias has extensive experience representing companies, partnerships and individuals in complex commercial litigation, including contract, securities, trademark and general commercial matters.
- Fordham School of Law (J.D., 2000);
- Cornell University (B.S., 1996)
- Defended condominium sponsor and related entities against claims alleging breach of contract, fraud, negligent misrepresentation, negligence, and fraudulent conveyance arising from alleged construction defects in a $5.2 million penthouse unit of a major newly constructed condominium in Battery Park City.
- Represented condominium and owner of residential unit in a two-unit condominium in a dispute concerning the defendant commercial unit owner’s refusal participate in the condominium’s Board of Managers.
- Represented residential cooperative in a “Pullman”-type proceeding where cooperative terminated an undesirable tenant-shareholder’s proprietary lease and shares due to objectionable conduct.
- Represented tenant-shareholder of an HDFC cooperative in a dispute concerning the cooperative’s unauthorized institution of a flip tax and wrongful interference with the sale of apartment.
- Obtained an order requiring a recalcitrant Condominium unit owner to allow the Condominium access to a terrace appurtenant to the unit to conduct repairs.
- Obtained order preventing brokerage from enforcing margin call and selling stock pending arbitration
- Represented national real estate developer in a dispute concerning development in Ulster County, New York.
- New York (2002)
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York (2007)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York (2007)
- Member, Association of the Bar of the City of New York.