Our Cooperatives and Condominiums Practice is one of the pillars of our real estate work and an integral part of the firm’s heritage.
Our partners have decades of experience helping developers, cooperative corporations and condominium associations navigate the rules, regulations, and restrictions of condominium and cooperative ownership law and transactions. We become deeply familiar with each party’s particular concerns in every kind of matter, deal, and dispute. With a 360° view of the issues, positions, and stakes, we are well-equipped to protect our clients’ interests and advance their goals, whatever side they are on.
Helping Developers Achieve Their Vision
The firm has a long history of representing developers and owners of condominiums and cooperatives, including in the creation of new common interest communities and registrations with the New York Attorney General’s Office. We guide clients through each phase in the property life cycle, beginning with property acquisition, construction financing, offering plans, and unit sales.
Additionally, major law firms, prominent lenders, and real estate investors often engage us as special condominium counsel on multimillion-dollar transactions, where we handle and advise on project financing, commercial condominiums, leasehold condominiums and more.
Consummate Advocates for Condominiums and Cooperatives
More than 125 cooperatives and condominiums in the New York metropolitan area trust Ganfer Shore Leeds & Zauderer to handle everything from day-to-day governance issues to sophisticated planning and litigation.
We support independent boards and managing agents in all aspects of cooperative and condominium living. Additionally, we draw upon our understanding of the issues and pressures facing associations and boards when we counsel unit owners in transactions and board disputes.
Backed by our real estate litigation practice, we are prepared to quickly and efficiently address any condominium- and cooperative-related issues or disputes, including with developers. Sponsors also involve our litigators proactively to ensure that matters proceed appropriately and cost-effectively, and that contracts and other documents avoid future liability and exposure.
Our Word on the Street
Our real estate partners have held senior positions in the New York State Bar Association (NYSBA) Real Property Section, and its Condominiums and Cooperatives Committee, as well as the New York City Bar Association’s Cooperative and Condominium Law Committee. Known as influential thought leaders, our lawyers regularly speak and write about legal developments affecting cooperatives and condominiums, including in our monthly newsletter.
We counsel clients on a full range of matters, including:
- All aspects of developers’ projects, including filing offering plans and no-action applications with the New York State Attorney General’s Office
- Corporate governance documents for cooperatives and condominiums including proprietary leases and amendments, by-laws, house rules, and condominium declarations
- The acquisition, sale and financing of vacant land, commercial and mixed-use buildings, and condominium and cooperative units by foreign and domestic corporations, trusts, and individuals
- Underlying mortgage financing and leasing of commercial spaces in condominiums and cooperatives
- Contracts for unit transfers and other issues related to the ownership, conversion and sale of apartments
- Contracts relating to the repair of and alterations to buildings and apartments, including the review of construction, architectural, and design agreements
- Disputes involving contractors, condominiums, sponsors, and lenders
- Disputes involving cooperative apartment shareholders and condominium owners and the cooperative and condominium boards
Our Cooperatives and Condominiums practice is led by Steven R. Ganfer and Matthew J. Leeds.