We represent purchasers, sellers, owners, developers, sponsors, investors, lenders, condominium associations and cooperative corporations and their boards in real estate transactions ranging from the straightforward to the complex. We have worked with some clients over many years – even decades – developing a rich understanding of their business realities and objectives. Having a common language facilitates decision-making so that transactions go quickly and smoothly.
Our real estate transactions lawyers have seen, experienced, and considered virtually every deal scenario. We have handled thousands of transactions notable for their size, scope, value, and complexity. These deals involve landmark buildings, major multi-use developments involving office, retail, hospitality, and some of the most exclusive residences in the New York area. We have prepared offerings in excess of $1 billion dollars and closed title to commercial condominium units with a value in excess of $500 million dollars.
Broad perspective combined with niche focus has put our real estate transactions practice and our lawyers at the top of the profession. Some of the deals we have facilitated have been featured in major media outlets such as The New York Times, The Real Deal, Crain’s New York, and The New York Law Journal. Our attorneys are regularly recognized as some of the best in the field by the major ratings services. One of our partners is a former chair of the New York State Bar Association’s Real Property Section and an active member of the Executive Committee.
Our attorneys excel at negotiating financing that will best achieve our clients’ goals. We structure, document and execute a full range of financing options for both lenders and borrowers, including secured and unsecured loans, equipment leases, commercial and consumer credit transactions, and workouts.
Typically, all parties in real estate transactions are anxious to reach their common goals. Before anyone signs on the dotted line, we ensure our clients’ agreements are clear, effective, and airtight. Backed by the strength of our real estate litigation team, we spot flaws that others miss, protecting our clients against future exposure.
We represent closely-held and public corporations, partnerships, limited liability companies, and other entities involved in real estate ownership and development. In addition to the work described above, we represent:
- Developers in all aspects of their projects, including filing offering plans and “no action” applications with the New York State Attorney General’s Office
- Sponsors, cooperative and condominium boards and tenant groups in the conversion process.
- Foreign and domestic corporations, trusts, and individuals in the acquisition, sale and financing of vacant land, commercial and mixed-use buildings, condominium and cooperative units, and private homes.
- Construction contractors, engineers, architects, designers, brokers, and managing agents in preparing and reviewing contracts.
- Sophisticated individuals and families purchasing and selling exceptional cooperatives, condominiums, townhouses, and other residences.
Our Real Estate Transactions practice is led by Steven R. Ganfer and Matthew J. Leeds.